Friday, February 26, 2010

In which I admit to magical thinking, and being a total dork

When I was about 15 I went on a camp out with my explorer troop, and at some point got in an argument with a boy. I don't remember what it was about, but I do remember his name, and I'm not telling you.

Anyway, he took off into the woods next to the river, grumpy and dejected as only a teenage boy can be, and I stalked after, believing as only a teenage girl would, that he needed me to go after him and make him feel better.

It was the eighties, and I was following a boy through the woods, and naturally that Phil Collins (genesis? Follow You??) song was in my little teenage head, and I was singing it under my breath.

At the point where he finally stopped and sat on a fallen log, and I finally caught up to him, he told me quite bluntly that he heard me singing. Naturally, I was mortified and didn't admit it.

We didn't kiss and make up.

I hadn't thought about this incident in years, but I was listening to the radio and another song of that same era (These Dreams, Heart) was on, and why it made me think of that walk in the woods I can't say.

I can say the story was already playing in my head when the next song started. Naturally it was Genesis, but I hadn't heard the song in so long, it took a while for me to realize it was Follow You Follow Me.

A moment of nostalgia and a moment of surprise, and I wondered where he is now, and if the universe tries to tell us things sometimes, and if we ever interpret them right...

So yeah, there I was in control of the universe, or at least the radio waves, bending the frequencies to my own little life story. All I can say is at least at one point this week I felt in control of something, and that's all right, even if it was only in my head.

Thanks, Universe.

1 comment:

Matthew Carroll-Schmidt said...

If you remember his name, I'll bet you can friend him on facebook.

=D