Thursday, February 4, 2010

Learning to be Argumentative

While those of you who know me may argue that I already am stubborn and perhaps hard headed at times, I think of myself in most situations as pretty meek. Particularly when confronted with strangers, including individuals employed to offer customer service. In the past, I've rarely pushed any issue in which I've had poor service, but slowly I'm learning it's worth it.

My roof wasn't right, and when they tried to fob off the problem with excuses, I didn't let it go. I argued. I won.

The purchase of my new table was far from smooth, and required me to seek the help of two managers. I fought. I cried. I won.

Tonight, I got an email from *%Bank, who had assessed a late fee to my account. I'd argued (via email) that it was unfair, and they had ignored me. I persisted. I won.

I don't know if I never argued because I thought I'd never win, or because I thought people would think less of me for arguing.

I'm finding I don't care what they think. I will no longer be a silently unsatisfied customer. If you want to rip me off, I'm just saying now, I'm practicing, I'm gaining confidence, and well, bring it. It's on.

Can't wait to meet with the roofers to do the final settle up next week.

1 comment:

josephine Lazarus said...

i've been on a quiet rampage to address the service issue. learning to say and pursue not get crazy.