Friday, February 12, 2010

Why, M, C, A!?

When we took the music class a while back, Elliot loved it for a while, but sometime during the second session, he decided he didn't want to be there. We'd pull up to the building and he'd start shaking his head. As we went toward the room, he protested more violently, and eventually when we got to the room, he cried until I left with him. We missed the last 3 classes.

We're taking a class at the Y now, and the first few classes went well, but today he started the head shaking again. I insisted that we go in and play with the other kids, and he whined and buried his head in my shoulder. It took him about half the class to warm up, but by the end he was playing with the other kids, and clearly enjoying himself.

I went ahead and signed him up for the next session, but I'm worried about it. I don't want him to be anxious - this is supposed to be fun! I haven't seen him have any bad experiences, and I've been with him the whole time in class. I just don't understand the reaction, outside of looking at my own neuroses. I get anxious and jittery before I teach a class, but love the actual teaching, and I wonder if there's something genetic...

Inherited crazy, or environ-mental? Either way, I just want him happy, so we'll keep playing it by ear and see how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he got that from his grandpa. Right now I am thinking that I really don't want to go out in the snow to go to drama class, even thought I know I will enjoy it once I am there.

Papa