Saturday, February 20, 2010

Blogging 101

It's been a little crazy. I'm not sure why, and can't pin down anything particular that's been happening, but somehow I never feel like I have a moment to write. But here I am, now, brushing my teeth and trying to come up with a good story for post #101.

My in-laws are coming in next week. While I do love them, I tend to get a little stressed out around them. They are bible thumpers, and I'm not a gal who appreciates that rhythm. Kind of gives me a headache.

When my mother in law suggested that I get Elliot involved in sunday school so he could be in the Christmas play so all my other (heathen) relatives would come to church for Christmas instead of hanging out with Santa, well, I was a little offended. Please, if somebody comes to you looking for enlightenment, or on a spiritual quest of some kind or whatever, tell them about Jesus and convert away, but have a little respect for those who have other faiths, and let them be.

Oh, yeah. And don't you dare try to *use* my son for anything. Ever.

I didn't really want to talk to her for a bit after that, so when they called the other day, it took me a while to call back, and first thing she said wasn't "Hi Jes, how are you and Elliot?" but "Oh. It's been so long. I mean, really long - did you get our message?" What do you say to that?

Having in-laws who you don't entirely get along with is one thing when your spouse is there to serve as a buffer. Without Karl I'm struggling to maintain the relationship. They are generous and loving and kind, and I want to be close, but when I get preaching or guilt (or both) with every dose of kindness I don't respond well.

They'll be here next week, and we'll see how it goes.

In other news, I'm trying to girlify my wardrobe a bit for spring. I ended up on this website, and I'm very pleased with my the quality, color, and fit of first order. It's kind of fun - you enter your measurements (it guides you step by step) and it assigns you a body type. You answer a few questions about your preferences in style and fit, and then it suggests clothes that will flatter you based on your shape and measurements, not your "size," which in women's clothes can vary dramatically from one designer to the next. They have suggested medium to x large sizes, and 10 to 14 for me. For each item, it tells you what size will fit, but you can opt for a different one if you prefer.

It isn't cheap, as many of the clothes are designer labels. I paid more for what I got than I would have in a department store, but it may be worth it. I really did have fun putting together outfits (they have a neat little tool to assemble and accessorize a look) and browsing their wardrobe suggestions.

If, like me, you have no idea what to wear, and don't trust the retail clerks who tell you everything looks great on you (commission? what's that?) then I recommend checking it out. www.myshape.com

No comments: