Thursday, January 7, 2010

Nothing Major to Report

Other than the gobs of snow outside (ok, not gobs, more just a peaceful blanket..) and Elliot sleeping in heavily (yesterday was kinda hectic) there's not much happening at Circle K this morning.

Tuesday was our first class at the Y, and I hate to say I was very disappointed. I signed Elliot up for "Fit and Fun," a pre-school/toddler class that I expected to have structure and guided interaction with other kids. Instead, the instructor walked in and exclaimed "Where did all these kids come from? Wow. Gosh. There's sure a lot of you! Wow. Um, what's the age range on this class???"

Ok. Really? You're teaching it, and you don't know? She went on to say this would be a 'playtime' for the kids, and she would maybe set up some little games that they could play together in small groups, but mostly it would be like child watch, just more active. We could leave and go work out if we wanted, and the kids could stay and play.

Oh.

It's not a huge class, but there are 11 kids, and 3 ot them are well under the classes stated 2 year minimum. The moms said they cleared it with the front desk, but it's a little frustrating. While I appreciate that their children may have taken gymnastics and may be athletic superstars, they are tiny and fall down a lot, and the bigger kids have to be very careful of them. Not that I don't want Elliot to learn to be careful, but that's not what I signed him up for this particular class to learn.

What I wanted was for him to get some exposure to a class-like environment; a place with rules, structure, turn-taking, *and* a lot of fun. I also hoped being around speaking kids might help him want to talk.

Maybe what I really need to do is call the front desk and get them to OK me putting him in the 4-6 year old fitness class. Because it's all about me, right?

Yesterday Kris and Scott came by and got their own workout moving my furniture from floor to floor. They helped me finally get my bedroom moved upstairs, the guest room downstairs, and the TV up to the second floor. Woot!

That means the Wii room is ready, and Rock Band can commence as soon as I find a vocalist and a drummer. C'mon people!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I can be either a drummer or a singer - just let me know when!