Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Mess, Plain and Simple.

I had an unexpected visitor this morning. When the bell rang, I peeked out the window to see if it was a band of robbers, and it seemed not to be, so I got the dog by the collar, told him to look mean, and opened up. It was an old friend of Karls whom I hadn't seen in quite a while.

She was in the neighborhood, and thought she'd check in on us. While surprise visitors do throw me for a bit of a loop, it is nice to be thought of, and nice to catch up. And I'm sriously lacking in adult conversation these days.

The biggest problem was my house. There was nowhere in the front rooms to sit - really, you conld barely tell there was furniture at all, just mounds of toys and boxes. Yeah. A little embarrassing.

Fortunately, I had just cleaned the TV room, so was able to present a clean "sitting room" where we could chat. As we were talking, the bell rang again. This time, an expected guest, but one I 'd forgotten was coming by. She calls first, but I turned the ringer off on my phone last night, and well, I hadn't turned it back on for the reminder call.

So there I am with two guests and a big mess to walk through, and I feel like I'm not being fair blaming the kid and the dog, because really, what do I do all day? Why can't I keep it clean?

I survived the visit, and now I'm taking a break from vacuuming and organizing and trying to get it all back together before somebody else drops in.

No comments: