Monday, August 3, 2009

Marathon Sleeper

I'm not sure how many hours count as a sleep marathon, but Elliot's been napping for over 4 now. Sure, he got up before 7 (again) but still, this nap is getting problematic. I'm supposed to drop him off at Mom's tonight, and I don't want him keeping them up forever, but then, I don't want to wake him and have a scream fest either.

He's still not talking. I tried all morning to get a word - any word - out of him, and he simply refuses. I don't want to make it such a big deal that he gets a complex about it, but I'm starting to worry. I've been reading about 'normal' speech development, and he's definitely behind the curve.

But he's said words, and that keeps me hopeful. And maybe makes me even more frustrated. It isn't that he can't imitate the sounds, or that he can't hear, or that he's not sure what words are... he just doesn't want to use them.

Anyway, maybe he'll wake up talking.

2 comments:

joy said...

If you have Parents as Teachers in your local school district, they will come out and give you some ideas on the talking issue. It's probably fine, but as a mom you can't help but worry. The Parents as Teachers program is wonderful just to give you ideas for fun learning activities that he'll enjoy too.

Jen said...

The thing I'd caution you about Parents as Teachers is that they will push for speech therapy. I have found from experience with two kids that speech therapy is good for one thing only: Pronunciation. Nobody but NOBODY can make a child talk.

And I think speech therapists are evil.