Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Overnighting with Grandma

This is the second night this week Elliot's stayed with my mom. I'm a little unsure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it's nice to know I could take a shower, or go outside, or clean, or whatever, and I wouldn't wake him or have to worry about him, but on the other hand, I miss him when he's not here. I missed him before I even got home. He would have been asleep anyway, but I still know when he's here and his presence is comforting. Even when his presence is screaming.

I haven't kept up here as I meant to, and I hope to do better. What better time to start than now?

Elliot amazes me. He has such a knack for figuring things out. He remembers things he's only seen a few times, even after weeks. For example, I pulled the little laundry sign off the wall, and he walked over to his door frame and stood with his back to the little measuring chart I've started there. Our last measurement was 2 months ago, and he was argumentative and didn't want to do it. This time, he remembered and cooperated fully. He can twist off lids. He learned this on a tube of lip gloss. I was taking my daily sleep-in (when he gets up before 7, I gate off the 'dangerous' areas of the house, and let him run wild. I sleep a little more, figuring he'll wake me if he needs me. Well, he woke me. His face was covered in glitter, and he was trying to put on more. He was adorable, and so excited, so I just went with it.

I'm making him a new sweater. It's brown with cables - I picked it because we just got back from Boston, and I hope to go back soon. It was a good trip, and the sweater reminds me of it. Hope it will fit!

The little monkey is growing fast. I look at him and see a little boy now, not a baby. He still doesn't talk, although he has said words. He had distinctly said "Kitty," "E-I-E-I-O," and "I get you" (i'm gonna get you!) at around 17 months. The other day he said "Mum." several times, but I think I got too excited and scared him. He hasn't said it again. He babbles a lot, and always seems on the cusp of speaking... I know he'll get there.

We've signed with him, and he does have quite a few signs he uses regularly. Milk, more, juice, fan, and done are his current regular signs. He has also tried to repeat cat at least once. I'm still learning myself, so it's slow going.

All in all I'd say he's doing great. Next week, tho, he may only get one night with Grandma. I just feel a little too empty alone in this big house.

No comments: