Friday, April 15, 2011

Milestones

Tonight seemed like the culmination of a few weeks of back and forth with Elliot about bedtime. He'd been fighting bedtime, and the routines around it, for a while, and I finally put my foot down a little last week. We had two nights of knock down, drag out, no holds barred fighting.

Earlier this week, one night as it was getting dark he said, "Soon it will be bedtime." that night he slid easily into his routine and went to bed pretty easily. The next night he fought again, but I held my ground.

Last night he was at Grandma's, so I can't really say how he was, except that he's been suffering allergies and not the most agreeable. But tonight, for the first time in recent memory, he went to bed in his own bed without me present. I read his story and sang a song or two, then left the room.

20 minutes later, he was asleep.

I'm not holding my breath that this will happen every night, but it's so nice to know that it can happen, and my expectations of him are not completely unreasonable.

Now if only I could get myself to sleep so easily....

No comments: