Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Real Change...

A couple weeks ago I went in for an oil change, tire rotation, and "courtesy check" on my car. A few friends had pointed out some cracks in the sidewall of my front passenger tire, and I thought I'd have it checked. At the service station, they gave me back a sheet that said everything checked out fine, so I figured it was an expense that could wait.

Wrong, of course.


On my way home from Knitting tonight, I suddenly had a very loud front end. It turns out nobody at Skinker and Delmar is interested in helping a well dressed white girl change her tire, but they do enjoy the show. I got a lot of stares as I bounced on the tire iron (in wedges, mind you), and a round of applause with a "You go, Nascar!" from a passing man and his son.

I've changed more tires than I can remember, on at least 5 different vehicles, so it was really no big deal, but this was the first time since my "girly girl" style kicked in. It is a bit more daunting in a beaded top, white button down, and pedal pusher slacks than my old jeans and tees, but I managed well. I even had wipes in the car, so my hands were clean and fresh moments after the last lug nut was wrenched back down.

Post change - note, white shirt: still white!

Tomorrow I plan to drive my little doughnut back in to the station and express my disappointment in their "courtesy" check, but really I will likely just meekly ask for a new tire. Which is what I should have done all along.

3 comments:

Jen said...

You go, girl! I am so proud of you. I need to improve my tire-changing skills. By the way, you look gorgeous!

Hartmann said...

Badass. :)

Unknown said...

Ditto on the "you go girl"