Sunday, August 15, 2010

No Patience for Whiners

I was on a chat tonight, and didn't say anything because I couldn't be nice. Everybody was like "Poor Me. My spouse died suddenly, and I'm angry." Or "Poor Me. I can't find anybody who understands me and I just Feel things so much!" Or "Poor Me. I have to raise my kids alone."

And I'm all like, "Really? You're going to complain to a chatroom full of widows that you're a WIDOW? Not asking for help, not looking for ideas, not trying to improve your life, but just whining? And wanting *hugs* and ((awww)) and 'I'm so sorry.' REALLY?"

My husband didn't get to see his son walk or hear his beautiful voice, but I'm grateful every day that he got to be a dad before he died. I don't have to raise my son alone, I get to have a strong and joyful bond with him because I'm his only parent - I'm one of a kind! I can't find anybody who "gets" me either, but it took me 30 years to find Karl. Am I really going to find somebody equally worthy in under 2? Don't think it likely.

The people who are happy in the world choose to be happy. I saw a great bumper sticker the other day - "Life is not about finding a way to avoid the storms. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

So quit whining and dance, dammit.

No comments: