Friday, March 26, 2010

Wanted: Taj Mahal at Sunrise White

I'm working (still!) on this knitting pattern, my first real venture into designing my own work. It's a beaded wrap worked in lace, and based on the Taj Mahal. I've struggled a lot with finding the perfect yarn. For myself, I could spin or dye my own, but I want to create a pattern which can be reproduced, and so I need a commercially available option.

There's a ton of beautiful yarns out there, in a rainbow of colors. I've looked at most of the local shops, and poured over dozens of websites. I'm amazed at the variety of rich, deep colors, and the beautiful combination available. If I wanted this piece to be any shade of the rainbow, I could find it.

Unfortunately for me, I want it to be white. Not sterile white or winter white, but warm white, as the marble brushed by the sunrise would be, and dappled darker here, brighter there, as the rays of light play across the faces of the stone. Too pale to be peach or pink, but not so colorless as to seem lifeless... As yet I haven't found it.

Why white?

Across various cultures, white is a color of both celebration and mourning. The design is a tribute to both, as I believe it's namesake to be as well. Tonight, I've been thinking about those moments when our hearts are simultaneously filled with grief and joy, when the seemingly unbearable weight of loss is assaulted by the relentless, infectious wonder of our children.

I've read stories from so many widowed parents who don't just keep going for their kids, but are truly brought back to life by them. I'm certainly one of their number - without Elliot, I hate to think where I would be.

Anyway, yesterday I finished the second half of the shawl, and I have only the joining panel left to make. I still haven't settled on a design, I only know I want a floral motif. I appreciate that flowers, like the color white, can be symbolic of both celebration and mourning, as well as love and hope.

Walking through the gardens last week I stopped to enjoy the crocuses, brightly heralding the arrival of spring. I hope when it's complete that the shawl with hold the same feeling of warmth and promise.


No comments: