Thursday, October 13, 2011

4 years ago...

Right about now, four years ago, I was sitting in the basement making yarn when my water broke. Karl was upstairs getting ready for a marathon grading session - papers all over the dining room table, gradebook open, determination on his face... Never had he been presented with a better alibi for procrastination.

We thought for sure we'd meet our baby that day, but stubborn and slow (like um, one of his parents), he waited till after midnight to appear.

The four years since have been full. Every day Elliot has amazed me, and he continues to be the best reason *I* have to procrastinate on so many other things.

As I look into schools for next year, I can't help but feel a little sad that our time together will begin to drift away from the majority. The last year has been marked with huge leaps in his in independence, and while it's exciting to see him become an amazing little person, it's also hard to let go of my baby.

I hope to make this birthday, perhaps the first he will remember, and last I will have full control over, as happy as I possibly can for him.

For him, that means trains, trains, trains; for me, love, love, love.

happy early birthday, boo.

No comments: